We made it through the rains of last week and luckily we didn’t get any of the rain on Monday they were calling for. Richard and Dustin got completely mud covered digging out trenches at the ends of a few gardens to encourage the water to flow. Gone seem to be the days when we get, oh say 1/2″ rain. Seems lately it’s dry or 3″+ at rain events.
I got many responses about putting recipes on the website so look below for some more for this weeks box. In the box this week: Leaf lettuce, mostly green this week, premium share also got a bag of growers choice salad mix. A bag of baby kale. The carrots lasted another week, this is the last of them. The funny looking dries red things are our dried hot peppers (also some hot pepper crumbles) These we dried last fall. You can use them in stir-fries, on top of pizza or anywhere you want to add a little heat. You can reconstitute them my adding them to warm oil while you saute onions or chop them up and add them dry. The basil in your boxes is cinnamon basil, premium share also got red rubin basil. Also later in the week we found a few errant garlic scapes so Tuesday and Wednesday shares got a couple scapes thrown in. All premium share got snap peas. Next week hopefully the patch will gleen enough for all standard shares to get peas.
Greens with fruit and vinaigrette
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 head lettuce,
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) package feta cheese
- In a bowl, mix the vinegar, oil, onion, sugar, salt, hot sauce, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the walnuts, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted.
- In a large bowl, mix the walnuts, lettuce, and pears. Toss with the dressing mixture to coat. Sprinkle with feta cheese to serve.
Original Recipe Yield 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 8 cups water
- 6 cubes vegetable bouillon (such as Knorr)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans (drained if desired)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot; cook the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the water, vegetable bouillon, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, Italian seasoning, and parsley. Simmer soup on medium heat for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.